IEC 61215 and IEC 61730, 2016 Edition
IEC 61215 lays down requirements for the design qualification and type approval of terrestrial photovoltaic (PV) modules suitable for long-term operation in general open-air climates and the requirements for testing.
IEC 61730 specifies and describes the fundamental construction requirements for and the requirements for testing photovoltaic (PV) modules in order to provide safe electrical and mechanical operation.
The 2016 versions of both standards are intended to apply to all terrestrial flat plate modules including both crystalline silicon module types and thin-film modules
Major changes from previous versions are as follows:
• Covers both IEC 61215 & 61646 requirements (crystalline silicon module types and thin-film modules)
• Varying initial and final stabilization depending on technology replacing Preconditioning and Lightsoaking
• Maximum Power at STC has been made a P/F criteria (tester specification also updated.
• Changed NOCT to NMOT (under load, 37 deg tilt, average of temperature sensors:4 positions behind cells minimum 10 day data)
• New Hot spot procedure (100% cell screening)
• UV Preconditioning performed under load
• Defined Static Mechanical Load applied load using a 1.5 minimum FS
• Updated Robustness of Terminations Test (Retention of Junction box and Test of Anchorage)
• Added Bypass Diode Functionality Check and Updated Bypass Diode Thermal Test (@30,50,70,90 deg C)
• Updated polymeric requirements section: implementation of insulation coordination, overvoltage category, classes, pollution degree and material groups definition of creepage, clearance and distance through insulation.
• Added Material Creep test, cemented joints and pollution degree verification (Cold Conditioning, Dry Heat Conditioning)
• Visual Inspection test includes Insulation Thickness, Durability of marking (rubbing for 15s with water then petroleum spirits) and Sharp Edge Test
• Impulse Voltage Test test voltage updated to cover reinforced insulation, requires an unframed module to be tested unless frame is integral part of insulation
• Added DH 200-UV 60-HF10 (front and back) sequence
• Dry and Wet Insulation Tests: applied test voltage higher for cemented joints (1.35 FS)
• Updated Temperature Test, can now be performed indoors with a solar simulator
• Module Breakage Test - reduced to only 1 height (300 mm only, removed 450 and 1220 mm), criteria updated to cover no particle larger than 65 sq.cm is ejected
• Removed partial discharge test
• Added Ignitability Test.